Friday, January 4, 2013

chicken skewers with meyer lemon salsa



I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I can't cook.

Or rather, I couldn't cook before I started blogging. My husband did most of cooking for the family  and I am not sure if he's happy about the change in roles. He still makes the top standards that take us through the weekday evenings, while I try out my various, found meals when I have the time.

So, Meyer lemons. I've been hearing a lot about them lately but had no idea what they were. I set out to see for my own eyes.

Not really knowing what to expect and not finding them anywhere I usually shop, I trekked to the new Fairway on 30th and 2nd, and WOW, Meyer lemons are huge!



Wikipedia tells me they are a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange and are grown in China. And so, they are sweeter than your average lemon.

Unfortunately, this salsa didn't go over all that well in my home. I liked it alright over the skewers but I agree with my husband in saying that the chicken is better without it. I plan to make a pulpy, spicy lemonade mix I can add to my seltzer as a refreshing after dinner drink. The chicken, however, with its cilantro-yogurt marinade, was a hit. We'll be making it again soon.

{epicurious recipe}

No comments:

Post a Comment