Wednesday, April 23, 2014

thyme braised brussels sprouts






It is funny how one day everything seems lovely and in the right place and then the next your whole world is turned upside down.

Maybe I am being melodramatic.

We just heard about our public school Kindergarten placements. It was largely what I expected. We got into none of the schools we applied for.

What I didn't expect is that all of my friends' children in my son's grade got their first choice schools. All of them. And they all picked the same school!

What are the odds?

So now I am miserable. Even though the school my son goes to is really quite good. It is taking all my power not to stress eat my way through cartons of ice cream, or anything else I can get my hands on.

So, here's something to fill your hands and your belly - before the ice cream onslaught occurs - hopefully leaving no room for the dreaded frozen desserts, cupcakes, or whole box of Oreos.

Thyme Braised Brussels Sprouts
Serves 2-4, from Eating Well

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or “no-chicken” broth
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Instructions
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until the shallots are starting to brown and the Brussels sprouts are browned in spots, 2 to 4 minutes. 
  2. Stir in broth, thyme, salt and pepper; cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until the Brussels sprouts are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. UGH I officially hate this process. The.Worst. But just know that everything will be okay!! What's most important is that your son has YOU.

    ReplyDelete