I have always loved to bake. Something about how the parts come together to make a much greater sum. I mean some butter, some flour, some sugar, some almond extract? Alone they are not that exciting. But when combined and baked, WOW. They can become amazing.
Case in point is this tart. So easy to get together and such a bang for the buck. I literally came home from work and assembled the tarts, while making dinner, in a half hour. So easy.
This is my submission to this month's Leftovers Club. I am paired with Danielle at Dining With Dani. I hope she likes them as much as we did!
Cranberry-Almond Shortbread Tartlets
Adapted from Joanne's Eats Well With Others
- 12 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cranberry jam
- 1/3 cup sliced natural almonds
- Heat oven to 350.
- In the bowl cream together the butter and sugar light and fluffy, if using an electric mixer, on medium-high for about 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and then add the almond extract, mixing until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour into the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Set aside 1/2 cup dough. Spread it out onto a plate and put the plate in the freezer. Press the remaining dough into four 6-inch tartlet pans, evenly.
- Using a small offset spatula, spread the apricot jam evenly over the tarts, leaving a 1-inch edge all around.
- Remove the reserved dough from the freezer and sprinkle it over the tartlets, allowing some jam to still peek through. Sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tartlets becomes golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before serving.