Thursday, April 17, 2014

grape tomato, kale pesto and goat cheese pizza

The sweet tomatoes blend nicely with this spin on a traditional pesto and the creamy goat cheese mounds. A perfect way to welcome spring.


Being called to jury duty was never so complicated. I thought I was smart postponing it until my son's Easter break, but then what if I am on a ury that lasts more than a week? Who will take him to school then?

Being allowed to postpone a second time didn't make things any easier. Between school, a planned visit form the in-laws and going up to our country house, never mind working in year end inventory at my job, it has become problematic.

And I generally like jury duty.

So, I will see how it pans out in June, when I am now scheduled to serve. At least I wont have to worry about ferrying my son around before I go.

Here is a way to lighten your dinner in expectation of warmer weather - it will be here eventually, right?

The pizza dough recipe has never failed me. Not once. It is the best thing around and after reading this article, about how pizza is so easy, no one should be buying it out, especially at Roberta's, where a 12 inch pie can set you back $17, plus tip and tax.

Grape Tomato, Kale Pesto and Goat Cheese Pizza
Makes one 10 inch thin crust pizza pie, dough recipe from Smitten Kitchen

Dough Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups flour (can replace up to half of this with whole wheat flour)
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup lukewarm water (may need up to 1 or 2 tablespoons more)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
Kale Pesto Ingredients
  • 8 fresh kale leave, torn to small bits
  • 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil
  • Salt, to taste
Pesto Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor until well blended. Taste frequently and add more of what is needed.
 Dough Instructions
  1. Stir dry ingredients, including yeast, in a large bowl. Add water and olive oil, stirring mixture into as close to a ball as you can. Knead everything into a homogeneous ball, incorporating all bits in the bowl.
  2. Knead it for just a minute or two, inside the bowl. Lightly oil the bowl, turn the dough over so all sides are coated, cover bowl in plastic wrap and an opaque towel and leave it undisturbed for an hour or two, until it has doubled in size.
  3. Dump it on a lightly floured counter and gently press the air out of the dough with the palm of your hands, beginning in the center and working your way out to the edge. Fold the piece into an approximate ball shape, and let it sit under the same plastic wrap for 20 more minutes.
  4. Sprinkle a pizza stone or baking sheet with cornmeal and preheat your oven to its top temperature. Roll out the pizza, toss on whatever topping and seasonings you like. I like my pizza cheesy so I tend to go heavy on the cheese. This can make the dough more soggy, so be careful about putting too much stuff on top.
  5. Bake it for about 10 minutes until it’s lightly blistered.

2 comments:

  1. Totally having some kale pesto right now! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH to jury duty. That is all I have to say about that.

    Your pizza is beautiful! I love this topping combo. Totally my kind of meal.

    ReplyDelete