Monday, June 16, 2014

chocolate scones



Friday was one of those days. You know the ones. It poured all morning and my clothes were drenched. Then I sat in an air conditioned office for hours on end becoming a human popsicle.

But then... a ray of sunshine. I had a free facial at Aveda scheduled at lunch time. I went in with a sour attitude. The air was on in the store and I immediately stated that I would not be able to stay for my appointment due to the frigid conditions in the store. But the woman behind the counter said very sweetly, "We can turn it off if you'd prefer." 

What?? I was taken aback. I didn't want to make anyone else uncomfortable. But she assured me it was no problem. And I had the most luxurious 20 minutes in recent memory. No purchases required.

So, if you are having a horrible day schedule a ray of sunshine for your lunch time. So worth it! Even when you get drenched all over again on the way home.


Chocolate Scones
Makes 8 scones, from Peas and Crayons

Ingredients
  • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour 
  • 3/4 cup unbleached white-wheat all-purpose flour 
  • 1/4 cup cacao powder 
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar 
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder 
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter 
  • 1/2 cup soy milk  
  • 2 Tablespoon instant espresso powder 
  • 1 large egg 
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
  • 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  
  3. Grate butter with the largest setting. This is such a great way to get the butter incorporated.
  4. Add the espresso powder to your dairy and stir to dissolve. 
  5. In a small bowl, whisk your egg and combine with the espresso milk and vanilla.
  6. Use a fork to move the flour mixture to the sides of the bowl, making a hole in the middle, then pour the egg mixture into the center. Stir until just moistened, then fold/knead in the chocolate chips. With the dough still in the bowl, knead for 3-5 strokes.  At this point the dough will seem less crumbly and more like a typical dough.  Grab a sheet of parchment paper and lightly sprinkle with flour to prevent sticking.  Gently knead your until smooth, trying not to exceed 10-12 total strokes if possible.  Shape into a 7 inch circle on your baking sheet and cut into 6-8 wedges.
  7. Bake on the center rack at 400F for 10-20 minutes, using a toothpick to test the center.  

4 comments:

  1. i never used to be a huge chocolate fan, but lately i've been loving it more and more. love the idea of making chocolate scones. not something you see often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh -I'm pinning right now - I have a recipe for chocolate espresso biscotti and this reminds me a bit of them. Love to bake me some scones and these would certainly brighten up any raining day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge, huge scone fan... and who doesn't love chocolate? These looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made scones for the first time during the last Recipe Redux monthly theme of tea (chai is my fav) and they were surprisingly easy and SO delish. These are next on my list!

    ReplyDelete