Thursday, November 6, 2014

cinnamon pumpkin muffins {leftovers club}



Ever wonder how an evening without electricity would be?

That was my evening last night due to my over ambitious husband and some crazy wiring in our apartment. We had this faulty light switch in the kitchen. It worked but you had to press really hard to get the light on. This bothered my husband. He decided to open it up to see if he could fix it.

Resulting in no electricity for the entire night.

To his credit he did restore the electricity the following day but it was a bit touch and go there - considering the fact that my son's 5th birthday party is this Saturday and we're having it at our house.

But what I want to say is that I really enjoyed being without electricity for the evening (we were able to plug in our fridge and had one light in the kitchen). Not being able to check my email was kind of pleasant. I need to try that more often.

In preparation for many a bake sale I am envisioning in my future, I have made cinnamon pumpkin muffins for this month's Left Overs Club. They are seasonal and lovely. I hope Kathia @ Basic and Delicious likes them.

Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins
Makes 12, adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice (or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon + 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg + 1/4 teaspoon ginger + pinch of ground cloves and allspice)
  • 1 1/3 cup pumpkin*
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
*Take a small pumpkin and halve it and seed it. Place halves skin up on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Roast at 400 F for 35-45 minutes. Scoop flesh out of skin. Blend until smooth.

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with papers.
  2. Whisk dry ingredients in medium bowl. Mix in a large bowl pumpkin, eggs, oil, and sugar. Mix in dry ingredients until just combined. 
  3. Divide between muffin cups. Mix left over sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until puffed up.


2 comments:

  1. Pumpkin and cinnamon- perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks fro this idea. Tasted wonderful. Will have to add it to my favorites list.

    ReplyDelete