Discovering miso has been a wonderful revelation for me. Now, all I need is some water and a vegetable and I have a wonderfully complex tasting soup.
This soup is a little more involved than that, but knowing I could make a soup at a moment's notice with my miso at the ready puts my heart at peace.
Spinach Mushroom and Miso Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 knob ginger, sliced and peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boxes fresh mushrooms (any kind will do - I used shitaki and baby portabello)
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 2-3 tablespoons miso
- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan sSaute onion, garlic and ginger in oil over medium heat, until fragrant and onions become translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until water releases and become wilted.
- Add water and bring to boil. Add spinach and cook only until wilted, but still bright green. Eat immediately. Nothing like a nice hot bowl of soup.