Wednesday, March 6, 2013

sugarless pancakes


I have been reading about high cholesterol and what causes it.  There is some evidence that an excess of sugar may be the cause. I don't know about you but I am a sugar addict. When I don't have my afternoon dark chocolate treat I feel my whole body sag and slow down.

In an effort to decrease my sugar intake I started making my usual weekend pancakes without the 2 tablespoons of sugar I usually use and skipping the puddles of maple syrup. Instead I add a splash of vanilla and some cinnamon and they taste great. Especially with some sugarless applesauce on top.

Sugarless Pancakes
Makes 6 medium pancakes
1 cup soy milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2-3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons canola oil

1. Whisk all wet ingredients together. Add dry and combine, removing any large lumps.

2.  Put 2 tablespoons oil in skillet and heat over flame so that water spits when splashed into it. Pour three ladles worth of batter into three puddles. Wait until the puddles have bubbles around the outer edges and a few in the center. Flip the pancakes and cook on other side until browned on both sides.

3. Serve with any topping that suits you.


No comments:

Post a Comment