Tuesday, March 5, 2013

martha stewart's baked-eggplant parmesan


For the first time ever I made a successful eggplant parmesan. This was entirely due to Martha Stewart's ingenious method: baking instead of frying.

You see, eggplant is super absorbent, on the level of cotton balls, and I don't know about you, but every time I've ever made anything with eggplant it ended up a soggy oil slick of a mess. This time I followed Stewart's recipe and baked the darn stuff and... presto it remained dry and crunchy on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside. Brilliant!

I altered the recipe a bit by using fake mozzarella and while it did melt and get oozy, like mozzarella should, on the bottom layers, it did not melt on top. Plus, it has a funny under taste so I wouldn't advise that you do the same. Even so this dish came out really good and I will definitely bake some eggplant again.

{recipe}


4 comments:

  1. I hate eggplant that has oil oozing out of it so baking it is a genius idea! My stomach is growling just looking at this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fake mozza did you use? I'm currently in love with the Trader Joe's shredded version (which I think must actually be Daiya) but I am always on the lookout for better cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear good things about Daiya. I am sorry, I forgot to post what brand I used and now I cannot remember. I was looking for Daiya but my local didn't have it. I will look for what brand I used at my grocers and get back to you.

      Delete