Friday, February 28, 2014

shakshuka



So, the Oscars are coming. I always get excited to watch all the wonderful outfits and hear the silly repartee, but then I rarely end up watching.

Having a bed time of 7-8pm these days doesn't bode well for my chances of catching it this year. Another hindrance is the fact that the only film up for an award that I have seen is Frozen. In any case, I am going to try.

I think this meal would be absolutely perfect to serve along with the show. Never mind your fried squid, your barbecued chicken meatballs, your mini crab cakes. I want something I can really bite into and feel satisfied that I did. This meal is just that.

With this dish that reminds me of huevos rancheros on overload with tons of warm salsa and cilantro, you can't go wrong.

Shakshuka
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon harissa                  
  • 1 large orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped    
  • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika                                       
  • 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juices                  
  • Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste                         
  • 4-6 large eggs (depending on how many people are eating) 
  • 4-6 whole wheat flour tortillas 
  • Chopped cilantro, for serving
  • Hot sauce, for serving
Instructions
  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add peppers and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, harissa, cumin, paprika and stir until fragrant. Add tomatoes and cook a little while more to heat them up.
  2. Once the mixture is boiling make small indents for the eggs to sit in. Crack the eggs into their holes. Cover and cook until whites have become opaque but yolks remain runny, about 10 minutes. Make sure to check on them so that they don't become too cooked.
  3. Scoop out an egg and surrounding sauce on top of a tortilla in a bowl. Add cilantro and hot sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra,

    here's the link to the recipe for the lemon polenta cake

    http://www.allenandunwin.com/_uploads/documents/lemon_polenta_cake.pdf

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you served the shakshouka in tortilla shells! It's such a great idea!!

    I'm pretty excited for the Oscars also...but I'm pretty similar in that I rarely actually end up watching it!

    ReplyDelete