Tuesday, February 4, 2014

mushroom soup with feather dumplings


Could it be a coincidence that I have not gotten sick this entire winter AND I have made a homemade soup every weekend? I don't know, sounds suspiciously connected to me.

This week I tried my hand a dumplings. These are super hearty and work well with a light broth. The combination of mushrooms, carrots, and garlic was a nice. I'd definitely make it again.

Mushroom Soup with Feather Dumplings
Serves 4-6
by Meadows Cooks
Dumplings Adapted from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

Soup Ingredients
  • One large carrot, thinly sliced
  • One parsnip, thinly sliced
  • 2 shallots, thinly sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3.5 ounce shitake mushrooms, sliced
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2-4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Black sesame seeds for garnish
Feather Dumpling Ingredients
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 egg, well beaten
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 shallot, finely hopped
  • 1/3 cup soy milk
  • freshly ground pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. In a large soup pot or Dutch oven heat the oil and saute the shallots and garlic until fragrant. Add the carrot, parsnip, broth, salt and thyme and simmer for 5 minutes. 
  2. Meanwhile mix the dry ingredients, except the pepper, of the dumplings in a large bowl. In another bowl mix the wet ingredients of the dumplings. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry to make a stiff batter. Add pepper to taste. 
  3. Add mushrooms and water to the broth and bring to a boil. Drop spoonfuls of dough on top of the bubbling broth. Cover and steam for 20 minutes without lifting the lid.
  4. Spoon out the soup and add sesame seeds to each bowl.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! This recipe is totally up my alley as I love mushrooms and dumplings (and I think you are onto something about your ratio of soup consumption and illness ratio :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup definitely has curative powers, I'm convinced!! I want to jump into this bowl and cuddle with those dumplings.

    ReplyDelete