Do you like cheesy soups? I usually avoid them. They seem so heavy and mild to me. I generally stick to the more brothy, less creamy types. Here is a twist on the usual broccoli/cheddar combo and, well, this soup is anything but mild. With all that garlic and cheddar flavor it packs a healthy punch.
You didn't think I was done with soups, now did you? Not when we have at least two more months of snow? Yes, that's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.
French Bean Cheddar Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic, pressed
- 20 oz frozen or fresh French green beans
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8-12 slices cheddar cheese (6-8 oz)
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until fragrant.
- Add beans and water or broth, and herbs. Simmer covered for 20-30 minutes, or until beans are tender.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender or regular blender in stages.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in cheese until melted. Serve hot. Add more cheese to each bowl for the pretty swirl it makes.