I am not going to lie. I ate the entire batch of these caramels in one sitting, by myself.
So, maybe they are not the best Valentine's Day gift. An empty box doesn't make for a great gift.
BUT if you can hold yourself in check, and allow a few to remain in the gift, the recipient will be forever grateful. They are vegan and raw, after all. And there is no extra sugar added: only the sweetness of the dates. Kind of amazing how much they resemble the real deal. I felt fully vindicated in eating them all.
A sinless pleasure.
So, maybe they ARE the best Valentine's Day gift.
Hard to know.
You'll just have to see for yourself.
Salted Tahini-Date Caramels
Adapted from The Kitchn
Makes about 18 candies
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon fleur de sel or other finishing salt
- Combine the dates, tahini, coconut oil, and cardamom in food processor. You should have a very smooth, creamy, thick paste. Mine had a lot of oil which separated from the rest, which I poured off the top.
- Transfer mixture to a parchment lined loaf pan. The entire ingredients does not fill a pan, so I formed it onto a flat bar or paste and rolled it in parchment paper. Sprinkle salt on top.
- Freeze until firm. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month.