Monday, January 20, 2014

parsnip and apple soup



I was skeptical about putting apples in a root vegetable soup. But when I researched parsnip soup, 9 out of 10 included it, so who am I to say it doesn't go. And I am glad I did include it. The flavors are really nice together.

What is it about apples and cinnamon? Is there some unwritten law that states that any thing you make with apples must include the spice? I was very tempted to add it to this soup and I am glad I was able to stop myself. The cardamom was the perfect addition to an already subtly nuanced dish. And, ever since my success with coconut milk in soups I was eager to substitute the cream. It didn't disappoint.

Parsnip and Apple Soup
Adapted from Oak Cottage 
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 large cooking onion, peeled and chopped
  • 16 ounces parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 2 TBS butter
  • 2 granny smith apples, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 12 ounces vegetable broth
  • 1-1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
Instruction:
  1. Heat the oil in a deep saucepan.  Add the onions and parsnips and cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft and the parsnips are very fragrant.  Do not allow to brown.  Tip in the broth, water, apples, cardamom, sumac and salt and black pepper to taste.  Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until the parsnips and apples are tender to the fork.
  2. Using a stick blender, puree the soup until smooth.  Add the coconut milk and warm.  Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. I've seen a lot of parsnip apple soups but I've never actually had one! Have to remember this next time i have parsnips in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete