Wednesday, November 6, 2013

my baby turns four

photo by Laura Ocelli
photo by Laura Ocelli
cake by Hannah Lemieux (sharks drawn by my husband)


This year my son had not one, but two chocolate shark cakes for his birthday. I'd say he's a bit obsessed. I was totally lazy this year and had a friend make the cake for the big friends party and then I made a brownie mix for the family party. 

I used a salmon mold and trimmed it to look more shark-like. If you ever wondered if you can bake brownies in a molded cake pan the answer is yes. The cream cheese frosting I found on Joy the Baker's blog was really nice. I was worried it would be too sweet with the brownie, but it worked. The black food coloring gel I found made a nice grey underbelly. All in all I was pretty pleased with the results... and so was Simon. Can you tell?

{cream cheese frosting recipe}


1 comment: