Monday, November 11, 2013

delicata boats with kale stuffing









Kids grow in fits and spurts. They'll be doing the same thing for months and then suddenly they don't do that any more.

Some how, just this past weekend, my son has taken his activity planning into his own hands. I haven't decided if this is a good or bad thing. It takes the decision making out of my hands, and coming from someone who has trouble making decisions, this is a relief.

But (you knew there was a but), while he used to have no idea what he wanted to do with his days off and was willing to go wherever I planned, now he wakes up and says, "I want to ride on a boat today," or "Today, I want to see dinosaurs." And there is no dissuading him.

Luckily for me (and him), we live in NYC and boats and dinosaurs are practically in our backyard. 

Here is another kind of boat. I hope you enjoy.

Delicata Boats with Kale Stuffing
Adapted from Lauren Rothman at Serious Eats
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 delicata squash
1/2 apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1 pinch dried thyme
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bunch kale, de-stemmed and shreaded
4 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1. Cut the delicata lengthwise, brush with oil, lightly salt and pepper, and place face down on a pan. Roast at 375°F for 20 minutes.

2. Saute the apple and celery in oil stirring occasionally until browned, 10 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and raisins and cook until fragrant. Add kale and cover, stirring occasionally, until  mostly wilted, 5 to 7 minutes. Move mixture to a large bowl and let cool.

3. Add goat cheese and walnuts and mix well. Place stuffing inside delicata boats. Sprinkle Parmesan on top. Bake until browned, 30 minutes.



2 comments:

  1. The preferences/opinions of kids never fails to crack me up. But it is kind of adorable that he's so set in his ways. :P Love these boats! The filling sounds absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so tasty and full of autumn flavors! I love delicatas - they are one of my favorite winter squash.

    ReplyDelete