Thursday, August 15, 2013

favorite vegan almond coconut cookies



After enjoying the lovely chocolate cake my vegan baker friend, Hannah Lemieux, from Vegan Everything Vegan Anything made for her daughter's birthday, I told her I wanted to see some more of her recipes. She sent me her off-the-top-of-my-head recipe. Something easy she didn't need to think about, but could relate quickly via email.

I finally had time to make them and wow, are they ever good. I was a bit dubious when they came out of the oven and looked exactly like they did when I put them in, but they end up super chewy, chocolatey, yummy goodness. And since there is only healthy ingredients in them, it seems like not eating them would be unhealthy!

Now I am eager for more of her wonderful recipes.


Favorite Almond Coconut Cookies
1 heaping cup whole almonds
1 heaping cup dry unsweetened coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 - 1/2 cup maple syrup

1. Combine almonds and coconut in the food processor or vitamix blender with baking powder and cocoa powder.  Process until well ground.

2. If you’re doing this in a food processor you can just leave everything in there for the next step, if in a vitamix you will have to transfer the blended ingredients to a bowl at this point.  Pour in vanilla extract and then slowly pour in maple syrup (either with the food processor running or stirring in a bowl) until the mixture holds together.  It should easily form into balls.

3. Take handfuls large or small and roll into balls, flatten slightly on greased or foil lined baking sheet, bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

4. Try not to eat all in the first half hour after baking! - We didn't even make it past the first fifteen minutes!


1 comment: