Monday, July 1, 2013

vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies {the food matters project}




My son asked for a cookie last night.  But we have no cookies. Have a pretzel.

No! I want a cookie.

Before you think that my son is an unreasonable monster let me say that he never asks for sweets. We rarely have any in the house to have. So I decided to make some. My son declared, Looks like a turkey burger. But he ate quite a few of them.

This is the penultimate week for The Food Matters Project, a project that has inspired and fueled my cooking blog for quite some time. As with all great things, this project has come to its end.

This is my final Food Matters Project post - but not my last Mark Bittman post. There will be many more to come...

I substituted the following in this recipe, and they do kind of look like turkey burgers.

2 eggs = 1/4 cup apple sauce
1 stick butter = 1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups rolled oats = 2 cups steel cut oats (makes the cookies crunchy)
1/2 cup milk = 1/2 cup almond milk
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour = 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon = 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

{recipe}


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for cooking this week Sandra. I'm sorry the project is ending but with only a few people posting each week it seems that the interest is gone. Really loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah so sad that it's ending! I wish I could have kept up but I just had too much going on. So glad your son liked the cookies!

    ReplyDelete