Tuesday, June 11, 2013

strawberry-rhubarb-basil salad with maple dressing


While walking through the Green Market this morning I was tempted into buying the current produce; strawberries and rhubarb are in season right now. It was just so abundant I couldn't pass it up. Ever happen to you?

But I didn't want to make another strawberry rhubarb pie. Partially because I need to cut down on the sweets, but also because I was in the mood for something more unusual, more adventurous.

Luckily I found this post by Luise and David at Green Kitchen Stories. I simplified it quite a bit without dimensioning the wonderful combination of flavors. I was dubious of how raw rhubarb would taste but it really works in this salad, adding a nice sharp flavor and crunch.

Strawberry-Rhubarb-Basil Salad with Maple Dressing
Adapted from Green Kitchen Stories
Serves 2-4

1 romane lettuce heart, sliced
10 strawberries, sliced
2 thin stalks of rhubarb, thinly sliced (I used my mandolin, but it probably was not necessary)
8 basil leaves
2 handfuls of macadamia nuts

Maple Dressing
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 lime juice
Salt

1. Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk all dressing ingredients in small bowl. Add dressing to salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment