Wednesday, May 22, 2013

focaccia pizza {working with yeast}


I was a little worried. You would be too. After buying a humungous container of yeast at Costco I read that... yeast goes bad! Oh no. How would I ever use it before the expiration date?

So I tried it out with this focaccia dough and as I suspected, the yeast did not foam. Not ready to give up so easily I turned to the Net and read that you can coax 'sleeping' yeast into life by adding some sugar. Well now, that is easy enough. And low and behold it worked.

So if your yeast is a little sleepy, perk it up with some sugar. Always works for me.

Focaccia Pizza
Makes 2 personal sized pizzas
Pour 3 tablespoons olive oil into each 8 x 8 baking pan. Stretch 2 balls of focaccia dough into pan to cover the bottom surface. Add toppings - whatever you like. Goat cheese is awesome on this! Here's what we used.

My Toppings:
4 tablespoons  spaghetti sauce
1 small bunches sauteed ramps
1/4 cup capers
1/2 cup goat cheese

His Toppings:
4 tablespoons  spaghetti sauce
1 small bunches sauteed ramps
1/4 cup capers
1/2 cup goat cheese
Sliced ham
1/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes


No comments:

Post a Comment