Friday, March 15, 2013

the marriage plot {currently reading}


Turning the theme of Victorian marriage on its ear, Jeffrey Eugenides, writes about what marriage is for people living in the 21st Century, and how it has not changed that much from much earlier times.  It also tells the story of what marriage can mean for a woman who has her life career planned out. He shows that marriage remains a financial decision.

I enjoyed the way Eugenides retells many parts of the plot from each of the three main characters' perspectives, in the manner of Kurasawa's Roshomon, even if these perspectives are not all that different. I especially liked recognizing various flaws in the male characters, flaws I have been intimately familiar with while growing up myself.

1 comment:

  1. I read this a few months ago and loved it! Definitely one of my favorites that I've read in a while.

    ReplyDelete