Sunday, February 3, 2013

butternut shepard's pie



All you wonderful food bloggers out there have been presenting enticing dishes in preparation for the big game coming up today.

Every time I see one I mention to my husband, "You know, maybe I should have a plan for this 'day of days', since you, my husband, will be watching, along with the rest of the country's male contingency (and a lot of its female)."

This morning my husband half jokingly asked me, "So, what are you making for the Superbowl?"

The what?
I totally forgot.

So... here is my Superbowl dish. Made from leftovers and inspiration.



Butternut Shepard's Pie
Makes 2-4 servings

3 cups leftovers from this meal's stuffing
4 small carrots, chopped
4 oz ground turkey
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
1 box shitaki mushrooms, chopped
Salt
2 cups butternut squash puree, with 1 teaspoons nutmeg

1. Cover the carrots with water in a saucepan and cook until a fork goes into them easily.

2. Saute turkey with a pinch of salt, until browned.

3. Saute onion until softened. Add garlic and cook until aromatic. Add herbs and a pinch of salt and cook a few minutes more. Add mushrooms and cook until softened. Add turkey and cook a bit more to meld flavors.

4. Combine all ingredients from leftovers, 1, 2, and 3 in a bowl. Mix to combine. Spoon mixture into an 8x8 inch baking dish. Spread butternut mixture on top. Bake at 350 degrees until warm. Place in the boiler to brown the top.



1 comment:

  1. Haha making stereotypical superbowl food is overrated anyways. I'd much rather have a big plate of this!

    ReplyDelete