Thursday, February 21, 2013

beer-glazed black beans with chorizo and orange

My husband speaks about chorizo the way some people speak about their first love. Wistfully he remembers eating well loved breakfasts at a diner in San Francisco. The kind of breakfast, he says, you cannot find in New York City. With equal frequency he speaks about using beer in recipes as a huge waste of good beer. I've combined the two here, hoping it would all come out in the wash.

He's not a real fan of bean dishes either, so I have to spruce up any bean dish I make or I am eating it solo {my son will eat them with me but he eats about a quarter, if that, of my portion}. Unfortunately it was not the beans, nor the beer that ruined this dish for him, but the orange. He didn't like how sweet this dish is.

I found it interesting, a new twist on old Mexican fare. I didn't even mind using real chorizo {especially since I was able to score the Mexican kind across the street at my local bodega} and forgoing my vegan aspirations. I went to yoga this morning so I am feeling balanced and open. Hopefully it all comes out in the wash.

Beer-Glazed Black Beans with Chorizo and Orange
from Mark Bittman's The Food Matters Cookbook
1 orange
8 oz chorizo, thinly sliced
1 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
One 12 oz bottle of beer
3 cup cooked black beans, drained
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon honey
salt and pepper
chopped fresh cilantro

1. Halve the orange.  Peel one half, divide the segments, and save the rind.  Squeeze the juice from the other half.

2. Put the chorizo into a large heavy saucepan and cook, stirring to brown for 5-10 minutes.  Add onion and bell pepper and stir until soft.  Add garlic and stir another minute.  Add orange juice and rind, beer, beans, chili powder, honey, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.  Adjust the heat and cook until thick and bubbly, about 15 minutes.

3.  Eat with long grained brown rice of loaded corn bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment