Wednesday, December 12, 2012

pumpkin and sage wontons


I think my new favorite sauce is butter and sage. So rich and decadent, it compliments all things simple, and the crunchy sage leaves add a flavorful textured surprise. I have been meaning  to make pumpkin ravioli ever since peaches became scarce but haven't gotten up the nerve to make the pasta myself (even though I am inspired by this post).


Rather than make my own pasta, I bought pre-made wontons. My first time using them was almost a complete success. They sealed nicely with a little water and cooked perfectly, floating once done. Only problem I had was their stickiness. Once in a bowl together they all adhered to each other becoming one wonton. Just as tasty but not quite what I was going for. The sage butter was the perfect completion to this dish.

Pumpkin and Sage Wontons:
The flesh of one small pumpkin, roasted, seeded and peeled or 3 cups pumpkin.
2 Tsp olive oil
1/4 onion, chopped
1 Tsp fresh sage, minced
1 Tsp fresh thyme, minced
Salt and pepper
3 oz goat cheese
2 cups vegetable stock
3 Tsp vegetable spread (or butter)
6-10 whole sage leaves

I made the pumpkin days before I made this dish. I am not certain how much it was since I'd used some of it for my pumpkin brownies, but it was close to 3 cups.

Heat oil in pan. Add onion until translucent. Add herbs and saute for 1-2 minutes. Mix onion and herb with pumpkin. Process in food processor until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add goat cheese and blend. Place blobs onto defrosted wonton wrappers. Fold in half securing with some water or egg white at the edge. Boil 2 cups vegetable broth with 2 cups water. Once boiling lower the temperature so that the water is not boiling rigorously. Place wontons into liquid.

While they cook saute the butter until boiling and add sage leaves. Cook until crispy.

Wait until the wontons float on the top of the boiling water/vegetable stock. It doesn't take very long. Scoop out with a slotted spoon. Drizzle sage butter on top. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment