Wednesday, December 26, 2012

coconut lime shortbread men


I am not a shopper. I don't like looking for that perfect sweater or pair of jeans. I don't like meandering the aisles in search of anything. I am a get-in-get-out-quick kind of girl.

That is, unless I am in this store or this store or this store, all of which are only a few blocks from my office, constantly tempting me with their siren songs.



I happened to be in NY Cake & Baking Distributor this morning in search of a zester and left with an arm load of cooking supplies I may or not use. One of these items was this cute little gingerbread man cookie cutter. I couldn't resist. But this was no frivolous purchase. I had the perfect plan for him - these cookies. The zester, after all, was to make lime zest for the very same little men.

Coconut Lime Shortbread Men, adapted from Messy Vegetarian Cook
1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
2-3 tablespoons lime zest
1/4 cup coconut oil

Makes about 40 one inch cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

Pulse dry ingredients in food processor until smooth. Add coconut oil and pulse until the dough comes together. My dough was super wet and I actually poured it into a plastic baggie and set it in the fridge to harden. It only took 10 minutes. Then take it out cover a clean surface with flour and dust flour on the dough. Roll out the dough and cut you shapes. Reform a ball as you go and roll the dough out again until you have used it all up. Bake cookies until slightly brown at the edges. Mine took 6 minutes.

Note:
Coconut oil is very reactive to temperature. That is why it gets hard very quick when in the fridge. It also get soft very quickly when handled {more so than butter} so you may want to try to do things fast. I am never good at this and ended up adding more flour to the dough as it got too wet to roll. That worked out just fine.

These came out nicely sweet and crumbly, with subtle lime and coconut notes. If you want a stronger flavor play around with the ratios.


No comments:

Post a Comment