I have discovered the new best breakfast. One that doesn't need to be mixed and fried while hungry certain somebodies are (im)patiently awaiting their meal.
While it does take a little time management to make them, once done they are ready to go at moments notice. Just pull off a sweet morsel and you're on your way. They can be eaten on the go (out the door) or leisurely with tea and honey (my favorite).
Healthy Molasses Oat Breakfast Rolls
Adapted from the Kitchn
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 3/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup vegan butter cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2-3 cups flour (unbleached all-purpose or bread flour)
- 2-3 tablespoons oil for brushing tops of rolls
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar. Let stand until bubbly. If it doesn’t get bubbly, throw it out and get some new yeast.
- Scald milk then add it to the butter in your mixing bowl. When butter has melted, add brown sugar, rolled oats, molasses, and salt. Blend thoroughly and cool to lukewarm.
- Add egg and mix well. Add the yeast and mix to incorporate it. Then mix in 2 ½ cups of the flour. Add what you need to of the remaining ½ cup of flour until the dough loses its sheen. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Scrape the dough out of the mixing bowl and put it in a greased bowl. Turn to coat and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of two hours (I left it over night for two nights - that's how my schedule goes). It doesn't rise a lot.
- Turn out the chilled dough on a floured work surface and knead or fold and turn the dough slightly. Cut dough into 12 balls. Press each ball into a flat rectangle with your fingers, then roll up and tuck ends under. Place seam-side down in a well-buttered 9 inch round pan. Brush all over with oil and sprinkle with a little of the rolled oats. Let rise until doubled in size in a warm place, one to two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until rolls are nicely browned and sound hollow when you tap their tops. The internal temperature should be 190 degrees. Remove from the pans and brush generously with remaining oil. Let cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with a generous spread of vegan butter or cream cheese, and honey.