Monday, September 23, 2013

plum clafoutis


So yeah, you got me. While my husband is headed full throttle into autumn, I am still holding on to summer. Just a little longer, please. I am not ready to give up short sleeved shirts, running through the grass barefoot, and fruit fruit fruit. What about you? Have you embraced the drop in temperature and shorter days?

I've been meaning to try this dish. It is a wonderful custardy treat. Perfect for breakfast or dessert. We gobbled it up in one sitting. I changed the recipe a bit - substituted almond flour for the regular flour, making it gluten free - and changing cherries for plums, since that is what is still in season. Technically speaking, clafoutis is only clafoutis if you use cherries. It was pretty good none-the-less. I love how easy this recipe is - bu everything in the blender and push the button. Now that's the kind of recipe I can embrace.

Plum Clafoutis
Serves 2-8. Adapted from Saveur's Recipe: Cherry Clafoutis

1 tbsp. unsalted vegan butter, softened
1 ¼ cups almond milk
6 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
6 eggs
Kosher salt, to taste
¾ cup almond flour
3 cups prune plums, pitted and sliced

 1. Heat oven to 425°. Grease a 9″ cast-iron skillet or baking dish with butter; set aside. Combine milk, sugar, kirsch, vanilla, eggs, and salt in a blender. Blend for a few seconds to mix ingredients, then add flour and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.

2. Pour batter into buttered skillet, then distribute cherries evenly over top. Bake until a skewer inserted into batter comes out clean and a golden brown crust has formed on top and bottom of clafoutis, about 30 minutes (mine took another 15-20 minutes to solidify- but my oven is hunpredictable).

No comments:

Post a Comment