Monday, April 8, 2013

potato and feta fritatta






I saw many food bloggers  addressing this issue today and was moved to mention it as well. While my meal below may have cost more than $4 per person, it was probably close to that, considering I bought the feta cheese at Costco's in a bulk container.

No child should go hungry in America, yet 1 in 4 U.S. kids don't know where their next meal will come from.

Food Bloggers Against Hunger was created in response to the new documentary from Participant Media, A Place at the Table. On April 8, 2013, food bloggers will donate their posts to raise awareness about the film, issues of hunger, and ask their readers to send letters to Congress to protect SNAP funding and make anti-hunger legislation a priority. It is food for thought.

Oddly enough, while making this dish I accidentally cut my finger. I was using my mandolin for only the second time (a mandolin is not necessary in making this dish) and thought, "This potato is so large and my hand is no where near the blade so I am..." then I felt a searing pain in my finger tip.

All to say, abide by the person who sold the mandolin to you and use a kitchen towel over whatever you're cutting to protect your fingers from those super sharp contraptions. Please.

I say oddly enough because Joanne from Eats Well With Others also cut her finger while making this dish. What are the odds?

Potato and Feta Fritatta
adapted from Eats Well With Others
Serves 4-6
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 3/4 pounds yukon gold potatoes (about 2 1/2 medium potatoes)
1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more for potatoes
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 bunch kale (about 5-6 leaves), cut from the stalk into bite sized pieces
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup crumbled feta
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp milk or cream (soy is fine)

1. Preheat the oven to 400. Coat a baking pan or sheet with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cut potatoes into 1/4-1/2-inch slices (I used a mandolin - see above). Place in prepared pan and then season generously with salt and black pepper. Roast 15 minutes. Re-coat pan with other 2 tablespoons oil and place kale on pan. Toss garlic onto kale. Roast 15 minutes, or until wilted and aromatic.

2. Arrange one layer of roasted potatoes in a cast-iron skillet or in the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Place the brown undersides of the potatoes facing up. Add the kale and cover with another layer of potatoes, using the rest. Sprinkle the feta. Pour the vegetable broth and milk over potatoes.

3. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Serve warm.


1 comment:

  1. Even without the feta I think this dish would be delicious and therefore even more perfect for a seriously cheap and easy dish! I'm so sorry you cut your finger! This dish is delicious...but also bad luck lol.

    ReplyDelete