Wednesday, April 17, 2013

hazelnut macarons


Could these macarons be any flatter??

As you can see, my first attempt at these ornery treats didn't go well. The whole keep-the-egg-whites-fluffy is a real problem for me. I knew I was in trouble when I began to fold the hazelnut mixture into the meringue and noticed that half of the egg whites had become liquid again (I suppose I left them too long while attending to my son's various needs) and then later knew I was a total goner when I noticed that my oven was quite a bit hotter than 325 F.

These cookies are very tasty non-the-less so they won't be wasted. But are they macarons? Um, I guess I'll call them hazelnut clouds?

I used Smitten Kitchen's recipe for her Chocolate-Hazelnut Macaroon Torte, which she made for Passover. Perhaps I should have used a recipe meant for the cookie version. Perhaps I should have aged the whites. Perhaps I should have bothered to pipe the batter onto the baking trays, although I don't suppose it would have made a difference. Perhaps I should have made these when I could give them my undivided attention (like that's possible).

And now I have 6 lovely yolks which need a recipe to call their own. Any ideas?

{recipe}


1 comment:

  1. I've had macs that turned out like that...so don't worry - it happens to the best of us! And at least they still tasted good.

    You could make ice cream or custard or pastry cream with the egg yolks!

    ReplyDelete