Saturday, December 22, 2012

loaded banana bread


Most people are unable to eat their bananas on time and gladly relinquish them brown and soft to the fate of the banana bread.

Not in our house. I have been patiently waiting for the opportunity to make some yummy banana bread for a long time. But it never happens. Our little monkey eats them all on time.

Today I saw three hidden under the apples and tangerines with suitable brownness and I pounced. I didn't ask if anyone wanted them. I just took them.

Judging from this fellows chocolate covered face, I'd say he wasn't too upset. Chocolate chips help. My go-to banana bread recipe has always been Fanny Farmer's. I usually doctor it up, adding spices. This time I looked at Mark Bittman's recipe but in an effort to avoid buttermilk and extra oil ended up right back where I've always been. Who would have thought?

This bread is not very sweet, on the dry side. Great with coffee in the morning.

Banana Bread, adapted from Fanny Farmer's Cookbook:
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raw sugar
3 over ripe bananas
2 large eggs
1/2 cup chopped pecans or any other nuts you like {or more}
1/2 cup chocolate chips {or more}

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. Mash bananas and beat eggs together until well mixed. Add wet to dry. Add nuts and chips. Spoon into a pre-greased loaf pan. Bake for one hour.




No comments:

Post a Comment