Monday, December 3, 2012

pureed white beans with tons of fresh herbs {food matters project}

I profess to make vegan dishes, but I rarely cook beans. Partially because my husband wont eat them. Partially because I don't like using canned food and have never been successful at making them from scratch. But in order to make this week's Food Matters Project challenge I needed white beans. Luckily some canning companies are now offering BPA-free linings. This dish was super easy and quite tasty. I ate it for lunch with sliced whole wheat bread and at dinner as a side with our Mexican take-out.

Last week I made Persimmon Salad, which I found on Shutterbean, which called for roasted almonds. I happened to make the roasted rosemary almonds that went with dish. I have been snacking on them all week and think I might make some as Holiday gifts this year.

{recipe}









I have been meaning to check out a Marionette show at the Swedish Cottage in Central Park for some time and was recently asked to accompany a friend and her son to see it. This was my son's first theater experience and he sat through the entire performance, clapped when the skits were over and didn't complain once. Now I feel confident to try other performances with him.

It is kind of the same with this white bean dish. It came out really yummy, giving me the confidence to make more bean dishes. Chosen by Lexi, you can find other takes on this dish here.

{recipe}
























4 comments:

  1. Nice post! I'm so glad your son enjoyed the performance and I like the parallel to the beans. As a tip: I cook up 3-4 kinds of beans at the same time in different pots. When they have cooled I drain them and put them into freezer bags (or Pyrex if you want to only use glass) in portions that are suitable for soups or for smaller dinners. That way, when I want beans (like I did for this recipe), all of the work is done ahead of time and all I have to do is grab the correct portion size and thaw for a little bit. Makes for a much less painful experience with better results :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cannot believe how good this dip was... really way better than i thought it would taste like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to make this again and make dip! It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds great, Sandra! Glad your son liked the performance :)

    ReplyDelete