Wednesday, December 5, 2012

apple pie pancakes



Whenever I have a day off pancakes are in the offering. Unfortunately, the offer is not always taken. I have to say it makes me a little sad when oatmeal is chosen instead. I have made pancakes so many times now I can make them in my sleep. I can make them on the go, like at Thanksgiving when we all awoke with post-turkey hunger and I was able to whip some up with no notice. So, in order to make them more appealing I am trying to dress them up in new finery. My husband loves apple pie, so that was my first choice for a fancy compote.

Apple Pie Compote:
1 tart apple, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
2 Tsp butter (fake butter if you have it)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 Tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
Dash of salt

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add syrup and apples. Cook until apples are soft. Add cinnamon and vanilla. Cook until liquid reduces and turns a bit gooey. Serve over pancakes.

My Pancake Recipe:
2 Tsp oil
1 egg (or egg substitute - I have not been able to mimic eggs successfully but maybe you can)
1 cup soy milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp baking powder

Mix wet ingredients in a bowl until frothy. Add dry and mix until smooth. Heat a frying pan with 2 Tsp oil. Add batter in three (depending on the size of your pan) puddles. Wait until batter is bubbly and the edges seem set. Flip over and cook until nicely browned. Press pancakes to make sure the insides are cooked all the way through (some batter might ooze out). Add more oil and start with the next batch.


No comments:

Post a Comment