I have been pretty good about keeping my cheese consumption to a minimum.
But there are those days (you know the ones) when the craving is so overwhelming I cannot stand it.
This morning was one of those days.
My husband is the par excellence grilled cheese sandwich maker of all time. Here I am trying to mimic his panache. I think I did okay - but in my craving-swaddled brain state I used a bit too much cheese and not enough berry/basil. If you make this experiment with the amounts to suit your taste buds.
Grilled Swiss With Strawberries and Basil
Makes one sandwich
- 2 slices favorite bread
- Swiss cheese, sliced thin
- 1 large strawberry, sliced
- 4-6 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- Assemble all ingredients except butter between the brad slices.
- Heat a frying pan on the lowest flame possible. place one tablespoon butter on pan and quickly place sandwich on top of it. place other tablespoon of butter on top of the sandwich. Cover and cook until you smell the cheese cooking, about 15 minutes. Turn over with a spatula and cook another 15 minutes until the other side of bread has browned and the cheese is going out the sides.