Monday, February 24, 2014

roasted eggplant soup



Why blog?

Is it to impart information? To share stories? To find a community with which to share your life?

Yes, all of these are important, but is this why we blog?

Not really.

We bloggers are a strange breed. We revel in the rays of unseen attention. We are compulsive over sharers who have finally found our forum. With no one to shut us up. No one to walk away. It is really perfect. And then, it isn't. Many a time I have questioned why I do it. I have contemplated stopping. But then I get sucked back in. There is something that drives me to keep looking for interesting and unusual recipes to try and show off (Did I just say show off? Er, I mean, hone my trade. Put my best foot forward. Be the best I can be.). To find prettier ways to shoot the same old shot: a bowl, a napkin, a spoon.

I am often shocked when someone I know references a post I wrote. It is like I can't believe someone actually reads what I write, when I imagine everyone reading it. The imaginary everyone. The fact that actual people view my simple recipe ideas and photos is a bit of a jolt. Immediately after the initial reaction, I am elated. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my posts. It means the world to me.

Roasted Eggplant Soup
Serves 4, adapted from Joanne Eats Well with Others
Ingredients
  • Olive oil
  • 1 large eggplant
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 15 oz canned diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon paprika powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (or to taste) *Warning a tablespoon of cayenne powder makes for a powerful heat - use with caution)
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4 cups water
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
  • Capers for garnish
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Peel the eggplant and slice it 1/4-inch thick. Place the slices on a oiled baking sheet and cover with foil. Roast until eggplant is very tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the oven and allow to cool.
  2. Add olive oil to a large soup pan or Dutch oven and get it hot. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add eggplant and heat up. Stir in the tomato, paprika, cayenne, soy sauce, and honey and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the water and beans cook another minute.
  3. Puree using an immersion blender (or put in a food processor/blender and process).  Season to taste with salt and black pepper.  Simmer on very low heat for 15 minutes.
  4. Serve hot or chilled, sprinkled with capers for a dash of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment