Thursday, December 6, 2012

fennel and apple salad



Ever find a recipe, buy all the ingredients, and finally get around to making it, only to have forgotten where that recipe resides in the big wide world web? That must be why they have bookmarks. This fennel salad had this beginning. Alas, I only found the recipe I after the dish was made.

I have been on a small exploration through salads and I love licorice so I figured a fennel salad would be exactly my kind of dish. And it would have been had the recipe I followed included a better dressing. The one I made didn't go with the salad, and had me wanting something sweet to counter all that lemon and salt. So, if you make a fennel and apple salad make this one. I think it would come out nicer. If you want to follow what I have here use the honey-mustard dressing I found on Cookie + Kate, which was found in the newly published Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (something I need to get my hands on).

Fennel and Apple Salad:
One fennel bulb, sliced semi-paper thin (the best I could do)
One Granny Smith apple, sliced paper thin
Assorted herbs (basil and mint), chopped

Dressing: (from Deb's Kale Salad Recipe from Smitten Kitchen Cookbook)
3 Tsp olive oil
1 Tsp spicy smooth mustard
1 tsp honey
1 Tsp apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper


2 comments:

  1. I just can't get myself to like raw fennel...it's sad because I see so many recipes with it (like this) that look great!

    ReplyDelete