Wednesday, October 22, 2014

apple turnovers







I have been writing this blog for a little over 4 years. It began as a way to express my joy of baking and my ability to learn how to cook. You see, I started off not being a very good cook, and not wanting to know how to be one. I trusted my partners to make our daily sustenance. In fact an ex-boyfriend called me recently, he'd seen my blog posts and queried, "So, now you cook?

So, now I cook. But my husband makes the lion share of the meals. He makes dinner almost every day and I am eternally grateful for it. I am slowly learning ho to make things without a step by step recipe to follow, and it is a huge relief. I am living proof that anyone can learn how to cook. And feel so much better for it.

I have always been a baker, but never been able to make flaky pie crust... until now. The trick, I discovered a few weekends ago, is do not mix the butter in. Do no use a food processor. Use two knives and keep it chunky. It will melt when cooked and become the wonderful crust you wish for. Truth.

Apple Turnovers
Makes 15, adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything cook book

Filling Ingredients
  • 4 tart apples, cored, peeled, and grated
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • Zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Crust Ingredients
  • Scant 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 15 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 6 tablespoons ice water
Instructions
  1.  Combine dry crust ingredients. Add butter, cut into small bits. Take two butter knives and chop up butter further until they resemble peas.
  2. Add water one tablespoon at a time and work together with hands until combined. Place in fridge for 1/2 hour or freezer for 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients. Taste and add more sugar, cinnamon or lemon as needed.
  4. Roll out dough to 1/4 thickness. Cut into 4-inch squares, or any shape that works.
  5. Place 1-2 tablespoons of filling in center of each square, cover with dough. Score on top two or three times for air vents. Brush with water and sprinkle with sugar.
  6. Place on parchment covered baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 40-55 minutes.
  7. Serve hot or room temperature.

3 comments:

  1. Those crusts do look absolutely gorgeous. I believe you've mastered it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut butter & jelly makes me feel like a kid. Why not make PB&J sandwich cookies? They’re easy to make, transport, and eat. The simplicity of these peanut butter cookies are what make them so irresistible. This recipe I made extra peanut-buttery by adding in processed roasted peanuts rather than any type of flour. I also minimized the sugar in the recipe, just to add the necessary sweetness for the cookie.
    eprothomalo

    ReplyDelete

  3. Five new sports have been added to the Tokyo Olympic Games 2020: karate, baseball/softball,
    sport climbing , skateboarding and surfing.TOKYO 2020 GAMES’ SCHEDULE

    The number of Olympic Games sports has grown from nine at the first Olympic Games in 1896, to 33 to be contested
    at the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

    THANK YOU so much for your highlights! I enjoyed reading your highlights and insights and look forward to more!
    See you in Tokyo!!

    ReplyDelete